Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Grandma's Quilt Square Canvas (and Beyond)!

Todays post is a canvas that started out as a 4 inch x 4 inch square and morphed into something a bit larger!



I love the idea of art on small canvases.  The only thing I had in mind with this piece when I started was a quilt square.  I painted the canvas with Ocean Reef Blue Acrylic Paint and let it dry.  I added Gesso over the blue paint to give a "white washed" or soft fabric look.  I created the "fabric" hexagons using a Fiskar Hexagon punch and a single piece of Crate Paper Little Bo Peep Adelaide paper.  I inked the edges of the hexagons with Prima Dark Bark Chalk Ink.  They were then adhered to the canvas in the "quilt block" pattern.  The stitching was added with a Sakura Gel Pen.  Then the fun began!

What to add to the "quilt block collage"?  I found some lace, tulle, vintage buttons on a card (41 cents - can you believe it), a Raggedy Anne doll, and a super cute digital stamp from Queen Kat called "four eyed flower", which I colored with the Sakura Gel Pens.  I also tossed in a vintage stamp and a Craft Bingo card.  Add some adhesive and you get a bigger than 4 x 4 inch canvas with a little vintage personality.  The sentiment is from Twirly Twine packaging from Vintage Street Market.  You can click on the links in this paragraph and the previous paragraph and be instantly transported to the sites where I found most of the items for this canvas!

No comments: